Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Being a Radio DJ in the 1970s and in 2016




A Snapshot Of My Radio Days ... Then and Now 

The first radio gig for me came about in Ottawa, Illinois. 

I grew up listening mainly to WLS and WCFL in Chicago. Once I decided I wanted to get paid to play records I began hanging around the local station. 

One day a guy got sick and the owner asked me if I might try to fill in. So I jumped right in and began spinning 45's on big Gates turntables. If a record was slightly warped I would place a coin on the tone arm to prevent it from skipping. 

Later the station moved from that small white building on Ottawa's south side to a space above a laundry mat in a little downtown strip. I liked it because a Dairy Queen and another burger joint were located just across the street. 

I worked 7 to Midnight. Sometimes during a long record I would phone in and hop across the street and grab some chow. If ever a record was going to skip, that would be the time. 



 In 1975 I landed a part time shift at WIRL in Peoria. 

The first songs I played were Jackie Blue by The Ozark Mountain Daredevils and Born To Be Wild By Steppenwolf. 

By then we mostly played songs from cartridges, or "carts" as we called them. 

When I arrived the on-air lineup included Robyn Weaver, Bill McClugage, Charlie O'Dey, Wayne R Miller, Larry O'Brien, Evan Luck and Keith Donnell. After a few months they promoted me to the afternoon shift. In those days, jocks would hang around the station for hours. 

The studios were located in a very nice building on Grosenbach Road in East Peoria. 

Sometimes in winter it could be a challenge to get there as it was up on a hill. Occasionally helicopters were used to bring in air people for their shifts. During good weather we had parties and played volleyball in the big backyard. 

I also worked mornings in Detroit before that city went completely in the hole. We had a great staff and the best equipment available. Our studios were on the 16th floor of The Fisher Building with corporate offices on the 21st floor. 

Sometimes we could see drug deals and other crimes happening on the street below. One of my co-workers was held up and robbed at gunpoint while coming into the building for work. 

 I returned to Peoria after my parents became very ill. They lived in Ottawa, just a 90 minute drive away from Peoria. 

 I like our current facilities in downtown Peoria. Except for the elevators where I got stuck one day for 40 minutes. The view is good and the equipment is top notch. Everything comes off a hard drive these days. 

Technology is great when it works. But on those rare occasions when something takes a dump, it can ruin your day. 

(CLICK images for LARGER view)




We have high end talent all around. 

This is my third time at WIRL, Peoria IL. The station is now Goodtime Oldies 1290 & 102.7 WIRL, also available online at 1290wirl.com plus we have a free application for Droids and iPhones. 

Things have changed big time but the music plays on.

(CLICK images for LARGER view)




leemalcolm.com 

1290wirl.com 

www.bonanza.com/booths/Neon_Clocks_USA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contrary views are cordially welcomed. Praise and agreement are tolerated. However, spam and troll comments will not be published. All comments are moderated and posted within 24 hours. Thanks!